Mayor Ted Mann: Reflections | Teen Ink

Mayor Ted Mann: Reflections MAG

By Anonymous

   Mayor Ted Mann: Reflections by N. S., Newton, MA

It came as a great shock. How was it be possible that my mayor had passed away? For more than 21 years he had served Newton.

Mayor Mann always seemed to be involved in something. I'd always had that sense ever since I first met him. He simply appeared at the right time. He was always overflowing with warmth. A handshake with the mayor gave you a confidence booster to last a lifetime. From the time he visited my school when I was just nine, to his debate before the recent elections against Susan Schur, he was that same man - still overflowing with joy and excitement and never running out of charisma.

I'm 14 now and fortunate to live in Newton. There are many things I have to thank the mayor for: the library I use so often; the tree that is now on my front lawn ("You have to beautify Newton," he said); and most important, my school. On behalf of all the students in the Newton public schools I thank him. I thank him for my teachers and the environment in which I learn. Mayor Mann was always the first to want to hear other people's opinions - including teenagers.

He was always abounding with good humor. He had an incredible ability to look at everything positively. He was constantly assuring us       that if there needed to be

improvement, there would be.

His son, Richard, said several important things about his father. Perhaps the most poignant was when he talked about how his father was always planting roses but never stopped to smell them. He had to plant more so that other people could enjoy them. But he never took a break.

As Richard put it, "He was a shrewd businessman. He invested heavily in mutuals; mutual trust, mutual respect. He dabbled in bonds; bonds of friendship, of loyalty and bonds of love."

In closing, I would like to say that I'm writing this to pay tribute to a great man. To someone who was always sure to help those in need, not just in Newton but around the world. When a disaster occurred, the citizens of Newton could expect a request for a donation to help the victims.

The last time I saw Mayor Mann I gave him a hug after his pre-election debate, and he hugged me back. And I will never forget that hug. I felt like I knew him. He just exuded this feeling of friendliness and warmth.

Mayor Mann was loved by people throughout the Commonwealth and even the nation. He was a model not just for other mayors but for every human being.

So, Mayor Mann, I would like you to know that the roses you planted are still growing, the trees are still blooming, and your city is still flourishing. We're gonna miss you, Teddy.