One Useless Penny | Teen Ink

One Useless Penny

January 9, 2017
By Charmander9964 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Charmander9964 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

They are the only ones who are completely pointless. I am not only one who feels this way. One useless penny that can only buy junk. One that does not need to exist but does. One useless cent of currency. From the factory, they waste copper to make them, copper that could go to better use, but they don’t care. They keep making them because they are too attached.


Their cost is baffling. They cost more to produce then they are actually worth, and in consequence, are a massive waste of money to make. Their value was higher in the past, but it’s gone down over time, and now can’t be used to buy anything useful, which brings up the question, why do they still make it.


This is why they should stop making them.


Pennies are our lowest form of currency, many countries around the world have stopped production of their lowest forms of currency. Canada, Brazil, and Australia ceased penny production. For good.


When I am at a store buying food or other goods, and my change is just a few pennies, I tell them to kept the change so I don’t take it everywhere with me. When production of pennies is over, is when I will stop complaining. One who shrunk in value. One who is now completely obsolete. One whose only reason is to be around so America can claim they are special snowflakes.


The author's comments:

pennies are pointless