Duet | Teen Ink

Duet MAG

By Anonymous

   Duet
by S. O., Melrose, MA

They were more interesting to watch than they were to listen to. Nodding their heads together to the Allegro Prestissimo of Barriere's Sonata for Two Cellos, the two musicians seemed to lose themselves in the music. As the volume increased, they would lean forward together, and accent each note with the same little movement of their heads, like synchronized dancers. The fascinated audience seemed invisible to the performers; they were only aware of each other, their instruments and the music, swirling and skipping effortlessly from their strings.
The two cellists could have been brother and sister instead of friends. One could see that they were both tall and thin, even though they were seated. Their long, graceful fingers flew together over the strings, while their eyes concentrated intently on the music before them. Their two pieces fit together so flawlessly that it was impossible to tell which carried the melody and which carried the harmony. Instead of being two separate musicians, they became united into one sound, flowing and twisting and playing together - so close was this rapport between the cellists.
It was surprising, therefore, to learn that they were not considered equals in talent or experience. One had been playing more than twice as long as the other, had had twice as many teachers, had played in countless orchestras, and was generally esteemed by the high school orchestra, the city orchestra, and others who had heard her play and thought her to be exceptional. The other had been playing the cello for a only four years and his teachers had been few and far between. But what he lacked in experience he made up for in determination. Never a day went by when he was not found in the music room after school, tirelessly practicing alone or rehearsing with other musicians.
As the remaining measures of Barriere's Sonata brought the piece to a close, the cellists looked up from their music and faced each other, instinctively trying to communicate through eye contact. One of them spontaneously tried a bit of improvisation, just a touch of extra crescendo during the last few notes. The other cellist smiled and matched the first cello. They ended with a flourish: as the audience rose to applaud, they lifted their bows from the string with the inspired glow that only the musician knows.
This was truly a duet.