Does Anybody Care? | Teen Ink

Does Anybody Care? MAG

Does Anybody

Care? by B. R., Georgetown, MA

The news broadcasts focus on subjects like O.J. Simpson and Haiti all the time. Rock and roll artists speak of peace and societal prosperity on every line. The ideas of societal progress are being shoved down everyone's throats. But do these ideas go in one ear and out the other? Did this generation miss the news this decade?

The students in my class talk about Beavis and Butthead and Ren and Stimpy. No one mentions Haitian affairs or the elections that stare our state in the face. No one speaks of the term of the newly elected Supreme Court justice, Stephen Breyer.

These ideas affect our generation directly and in many cases indirectly. Stephen Breyer will be making decisions for our generation for years to come and thus affect us directly. The Haitian policy will be followed throughout our lifetime and thus affects us indirectly. Yet, the students in my school, as well as in many others, do not voice an opinion on most issues. In many cases, the students don't realize the effects of these issues on their lives. It's a mystery why students don't speak out. Maybe it is because they are afraid to show intelligence or maybe it is because they don't care. Either way, not speaking out against the problems of society is wrong. Ignoring the problems will not make them go away.

In the sixties, most teenagers struggled to survive by voicing their opinions against the government. In the nineties, most teenagers ignore the government and focus on their own problems. Some students do care enough to speak out, but the majority just don't care. This practice is harmful to society and to our future. If our generation plans to progress and make society a better place, then we must learn to speak out, now. We must make a change in our generation's thoughts to make a change in our culture.

this is true. i remember i was in 6th grade and no one cared about me. so many people don't care about things and stuff so you are right