My Identical Hat | Teen Ink

My Identical Hat MAG

My Identical Hat

by L. O., Warwick, RI

The first time I saw her wearing it, I burst out laughing. My seven-year-old sister had on the silliest hat I had ever seen. On the cap were two googly eyes, and a pair of black floppy ears hanging from the sides, almost reaching the top of her narrow shoulders. The bill was about half a foot long with a black warm-fuzzy glued to the end, and two pieces of white felt hanging for the corners. I stepped back and imagined; it did look like Goofy ... kind of.

I watched her take it off and adjust the size to fit her small, oval head. She had been able to choose anything from the memorabilia shops in Disney World. Instead of buying a Tinkerbell wand like the other little girls, she chose this ridiculous hat. Why is she so different from not only me, but from anyone I have ever met? For another moment, I was glad she was.

I look up to her. It seems unnatural for an older sister to want to be like the younger, but her personality compels me to. It is because of her complete independence and strength. With these she is able to resist social conformity. I, like the typical teenager, want a uniqueness, just like Leigh's stubborn individuality. Of course, I realize she is like this because she is a child and still naive and unknowing to these pressures, but her stubbornness remains an inspiration. I often try to be strong like she is, but it is much easier for me to compromise. Often at school, because I want to fit in with my classmates, instead of being indifferent to what they think about me, I will try to please them. This makes me feel scared, because in such a persuasive world I am afraid of conforming to something that could hurt me. For this reason, Leigh inspires me to look to myself for strength and stick to my decisions.

When she finished adjusting the hat, she put it on covering half her head of golden locks, streaked white from the sun, and looked up at me. I could barely see her ocean-blue eye, that always seemed indifferent to what they were looking at. From under the bill I could see her pouting lips, a shade of bright pink from her Barbie lip balm, as they pursed together, getting ready to say something.

"How does it look?"

"It's awesome!" I replied.

I walked over to the rack of hats and picked up an identical one.

i love this so much!