Beautiful | Teen Ink

Beautiful

November 28, 2016
By Ciara1299 BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
Ciara1299 BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am looking at her and she is so beautiful" -Perks of being a wallflower


Models and celebrities set false standards of beauty adversely impacting today's youth. Youth, predominantly females, strive to mimic these unnaturally thin role models to obtain this flawed impression of beauty. These standards are reinforced by negative peer pressure prompting youth to take unhealthy risks to obtain this idealistic image causing unsafe weight loss.  Eating disorders, are many and varied with a common cause. Mental disorders attribute to eating disorders, leading to poor health. The atrocity of eating disorders roughly affects 20 million women and 10 million men throughout a juncture within their lifetime in modern day America. There are numerous varieties of eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge Eating Disorder being the most prominent in modern society. Binge eating primarily affects teens and young adults and commonly co-exists with a variety of other disorders, proven to be deadly if the proper precautions are not taken. However, with behavioral therapy and healthy eating habits  individuals suffering from this disorder may conquer this chronic disease.

Anorexia Nervosa
A severely flawed perception of beauty is evident in today's society, causing the desire for an below ideal body weight. This misconception of beauty causes women to neglect their physical health by excessive weight loss, hence severe calorie restriction. Physical beauty is achieved in ugly ways. These particular individuals obsess over fat content and calories in foods which creates great anxiety regarding possible weight gain  Chronic dieting is ritualized amongst these individuals. Calories are viewed as a well trained soldier that they must fight off, constantly at combat. Unnatural, unsafe reduction of their BMI, Leading to serious health consequences. Self starvation decreases the heart rate to dangerous levels ; leading to overall weakness and low blood pressure. These serious health consequences lead to possible kidney and heart failure, due to dehydration. Anorexia Nervosa is generally suffered by  90-95% of females. Anorexia has the highest death rate of those suffering severe malnutrition compared to other mental illnesses, with 5-20% of those suffering face certain death.While they feel as though they are winning the battle they are losing the war.  For those that accept treatment, face a difficult road to recovery that assuredly follows. Medical care, including hospitalization, may be necessary along with behavioral and nutritional therapy in order to develop positive lifestyle changes and healthy eating habits . Family based therapy and individual therapy is beneficial to encourage appropriate weight gain and eating habits which improve mental outlook on calories. Nutritionist are available to offer information to stabilize eating habits.


Bulimia Nervosa
Bulimia Nervosa affects only 1-2% of youth however, 80% are female. Bulimia is defined as self induced vomiting after consuming large quantities of food. Initially most individuals are of average weight. The media has partly caused such individuals to want to take drastic measure in order to  maintain their flawed conception of beauty. Bulimia Nervosa leads to loss of electrolytes which causes a disruption of heart functions, possibly leading to heart failure and, in extreme situations, death. Frequent vomiting may possibly cause esophageal damage and tooth decay due to the excessive stomach acid created by regurgitation. Along with negative health effects there are psychological complications, such as depression. Individuals suffering from chronic depression are at risk for suicide ideations. Bulimia is extremely difficult to overcome. The cause is not food intake alone, but self perception as well. Psychological therapy is more important than medical intervention in order to achieve recovery. Notably a high recovery rate is achievable. The only recognized medication for treatment of bulimia is the SSRI inhibitor also known as Prozac, which is used to treat depression. Yet Bulimia may take years to recover from due to recurrent symptoms during high stress intervals. Nutritionists can educate patients in regard to food intake and healthy eating habits. Family, cognitive, or interpersonal therapy is advised to improve mental health and encourage regaining control over eating habits.


Binge Eating Disorder
Binge eating is used as a vehicle. Those affected commonly use this as a cover to mask negative emotions caused by stress, anxiety, and depression. Blood sugar spikes cause the release of dopamine within the brain thereby creating an artificial high and positive feelings. Consuming two tons of food on a daily bases causes negative health effects. Women are slightly more affected with 3.5% percent female, 2% male, and 1.6% adolescents.Women have a tendency to binge eat in early adulthood more commonly while men tend to suffer this illness later in life, Very few men are concerned about experiencing a midlife crisis. BED affects 1-5% of Americans. While BED, tends to be associated with obesity there are a variety of  effects as well. High blood pressure and high cholesterol levels which may lead to heart disease. Many individuals additionally, suffer from type two diabetes and experience sleep apnea. BED causes a lower quality of life and is responsible for excessive negative emotions directed towards one’s self . A variety of treatment such as psychological therapy and medications are available.


The author's comments:

society expects individuals to appear a particular way in order to be classified as beautiful, causing prominently youth and young adults to attempt to fulfill this ideal image of beauty, I hope to inform readers they do not need to conform to these expectations of beauty and bring light upon disorders commonly brought by the appealing image of beauty.