A Crooked Smile: Inside the Mind of a Teenaged Girl | Teen Ink

A Crooked Smile: Inside the Mind of a Teenaged Girl

By xx.samantha BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado
xx.samantha BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado

WHAT REALLY IS BULLYING?

She walks down the hallway barely picking up her feet, head pointed down. A million blurbs of horrible things pounding in her head, but nobody could guess; this girl is the victim of a bully.  Until bullying came into the picture, many teenagers would still be living a happy life they deserve.

Bullying occurs because many people don't think of the effects. Anxiety, insomnia, etc. There are many factors that come in, but when someone finally realizes this it's too late. Teens all around the world experience this type of sorrow and gloominess, but nobody would ever know it’s hidden, new and old generations have been treated unfairly for someone else’s pleasure and the victims hide it. That, that fear and embarrassment is really what bullies achieve. Bullying starts with the littlest thing, a break up, embarrassing photos, or flaws; what really matters is what people do about it (the bystander and victim). Unfortunately  there are three main standards of bullying. Cyber bullying, social or verbal bullying (in school), and physical bullying. But there is more to all the stories, and suicides because maybe, bullies are bullied. Bullying goes much deeper than what is thought to be true.

DRIVEN TO DEPRESSION

Kady tells her story going back to eighth grade, she explains what it’s really like to feel attacked; and have no control over it. “Why are you wearing grandma clothes?” and  “What did you do to your hair? Burn it?” peers would shoot her nasty looks and throw horrible comments like those at her. It became a constant thing to the point she says “I became immune to it.” She is one of millions who are victims of a bully. Later on, Kady says she wanted to die; “I would go home and cry everyday until I couldn’t anymore.”...

According to the Center for Disease and control, “For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts.” more studies showed that bullycide (suicide/bullying) results in around 4.400 deaths per year. Out of 440,000 (Amount of deaths multiplied by the amount of suicide attempts per death) only one percent have actually committed suicide. Many teens have experienced depression because the bullying had won. The young people of the generation can’t take the hurt and fear bullying brings to the table.

According to ethicssage, “Statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying.” Kids are pushed to the point where they want to be isolated, they could no longer depend on any friends or peers to trust. Kids feel alone because of bullying,they start to think nobody cares. This is depression.

BULLYING OUTBREAK

All things considered bullying takes many forms in the daily lives of people. Primarily, there’s cyberbullying ; this form of bullying involves harassment over social media, texting, IMing, emailing, etc. This form of bullying is a main issue because there’s just no way out of it. The bully has access to make him/her feel inferior without even having to see them.

Teensafe says that around 87% of kids and teens today have witnessed or experienced cyberbullying. 24/7, anytime. Cyberbullying just makes kids and teenagers so much more vulnerable to everything out in the world. They hide it and feel that the bullying will stop, or just simply go away! But it won’t, it’s like game; once you start the teasing you can’t stop.

Moreover, Nobullying says that over 80% of teens use their cell phone regular, thus making it the common medium that gives cyberbullying more power. This generation has tapped into a new valuable source, techonolgy and the bullys are using it to their advantage because later nobullying also says 81% of young people think cyberbullying is much easier to get away with than the “classic” school bullying. Cyberbullying is very reoccuring because of the fact the bulliers on tech simply don’t think of what their doing as bullying; much less than if they were harassing someone in person.

In addition, another major form of bullying are social or verbal bullying. This form of bullying goes on in or out of school, but either way this is very emotional and personal. This is publically known as a repetitive form of unwanted aggression and harassment. This type of bullying can include, discluding someone purposefully, publicly humiliating someone, spreading rumors and preventing people from hanging out or becoming friends with him/her.

Safesupportivelearning says according to the U.S. Department of Education’s national survey of student safety in secondary schools, 16 percent of all students reported being the subject of rumors, 5 percent reported being excluded from activities on purpose within the past school year. According to the same website, studies have shown that more girls are likely to experience social bullying, but regardless this type of bullying exploits young kids and teens especially and makes them feel inferior towards other peer and kids at their school, this is a major red flag toward many generations to come and experience bullying as it get worse and worse.

Above all, last but certainly not least there is physical bullying. This is a serious problem, this type not only affect the bully victim, but the kids who witness the harassment. This can include fighting, stealing, sexual harassment, or even just a practical joke; if these acts are repeated repeatedly among the victim and intended to hurt the victim or is an imbalance of power and puts the victim in an uncomfortable situation it is then considered bullying.

Bullying statistics says that most bullying happens in middle school because young people feel the need to adjust to fit in. Kids are pushed out of a certain social standard just for being different, and the bullying is what takes this part too far. The bulliers involved with physical harm usually tend to be stronger than the victim making them more weak and exposed. Young people have no control over these kinds of things that happen, when bullying occurs it hurt both the bullier and victim. There are so many more things that are at risk when bullying comes into the picture, kids come home with bruises or even scabs because of physical bullying, and they feel they have nobody to turn to and nobody who can help them. The bullies threaten them and make them feel insecure only because they don’t fit in. Bullying puts others at risk and makes their childhood a nightmare, everyone deserves a chance at a happy life

A REASON BEHIND THE BULLYING?

Paradoxically, bullies may be doing the wrong thing everyone has a reason for doing something. Bullies take out their anger on others by well, bullying them. This could be because of family life at home or that someone else is harassing them.

Social issues are major in the contribution towards bullying. Bullyingstatistics explains how the bullying comes from the socail need for attention. The bully realizes that they can get more attention negatively than positively so they grasp that chance to gain friends. Acting out, or making silly and hurtful jokes toward someone else have shown to allow one to get noticed and recognized; if feeling insecure or left away. Equally, jealousy, envy, or lack of social skills can lead a person to bully as a way to deal with their feelings. This usually becomes necessary when the bully has no other option.

In the same fashion, kids may bully because of family issues. Studies have shown that families who are not loving or caring are more likely to have children who bully according to Bullying Statistics. When a family lacks giving attention to their kid, the kid tends to want attention from other rather than their “loved ones”. Another home environment that is prone to producing bullies is one in which discipline and monitoring are inconsistent and/or a punitive atmosphere exists says the same site. When families are not entirely present in someone's life they tend to fall apart and turn to strangers to or peers for love and care even though they may not know that. The bully may bully others but they are bullied in a  different form at home that may not be as recognizable by the families or the child.

Similarly, there are two kinds of bullies. Some are well-connected to their peers, have social power, are overly concerned about their popularity, and like to dominate or be in charge of others. Others are more isolated from their peers and may be depressed or anxious, have low self esteem, be less involved in school, be easily pressured by peers, or not identify with the emotions or feelings of others. Bullies feel a need to please people to keep their position in power and to keep the friends they have and the attention they so greatly want, but the thing is they push themselves to be someone else they don’t want to be because of getting caught up in popularity and trying to fit in.

Lastly, bulliers could've been a previous victim. They pick up the behavior and turn it into anger and become immune. Ditchthelabel explains how the bullying behavior is used a defense mechanism, they may not ntoice it but they defend themselves emothionally just by bullying others.It becomesa habit and continues because thye may not notice they are bullying someone else.

The bullying is usually an unconscious thing, dealing with young people who don’t know how the handle the hurt emotions and rough life. Whether it’s family, peer pressure, or just need for attention the bullies have a reason.

THERE’S ALWAYS A CHOICE

Bullying comes in many forms and affects many people all over the world ranging from many ages. Unfortunately, our world today is starting to develop more and more of this behavior but it's what the people do that can really make a difference and change the future of bullying for the good.

Living in a world of harassment and hurt is not what’s wanted. Young people all over the world should have the right to live a normal childhood and know what’s right and wrong. The bully and the victim. Bullying is a chain and will continue for as long as the kids of the generations let it, but that can change.

In the end, bullies are not the one to blame and neither are to victims. Everyone has their story and everyone continues to live it and experience new things sometimes out of their control. But it's what the people do to make a difference that will really impact the world and people's actions for the better.

The girl walks down the hallway, but this time it’s different.

“Are you ok?”

“No, i’m not”

Make a difference, because

THIS IS BULLYING…..

I was inspired to write this piece particulary because of the bullying st my school. I see and hear it everyday and I wanted to really express what it's like. I hope people can really understand more the effect of bullying and what are some things they can do about it.