College Fair | Teen Ink

College Fair MAG

"Good afternoon, what are you interested in?" they would all say. It didn't really matter what your response was. Some way or another, your interest would be perfectly fulfilled by their wonderful college. They would rattle off statistics of enrollment, average grades, and the employment rate of graduates. They would go on and on about the beautiful campus, the fun and exciting clubs, even the quality and diversity of the food. It was a competition, a battle for your tuition. I had to concentrate on not making eye contact.

The scene looked like a carnival. There were banners, posters, and representatives desperately trying to hook your attention and reel you in for a short conversation.

"Step right up! At this college you can have the time of your life and everyone wins a great job and a large salary for the rest of their life!"

They would hand you a brochure and show you all the pretty buildings and flowers, and smiling, happy faces wearing college sweatshirts. Is that really what college is like? Does everyone have to wear the university's sweatshirt every day? "Sign this mailing list, and we'll send you more pretty pictures, I mean, information in the mail." Thank goodness I'm female and not subject to the harassment by armed forces representatives calling every day!

I guess this whole college thing is just frustrating. How are you supposed to know what you want to do for the rest of your life when you can't even decide what to do on the weekend? c