Words Will Hurt | Teen Ink

Words Will Hurt

Imagine crowded hallways in an average middle school. People standing at lockers talking to their friends. Suddenly a boy is shoved to the ground by three other boys. People turn to stare. The three boys are shouting horrible things at the boy. Such as ¨You‘re worthless!” The next day the boy didn't show up to school. Soon days turned into weeks. Although bullying happens each and everyday, it drastically changes the lives of its victims.

Depression

Depression is a common but a serious mood disorder. Depression can be caused many ways. One way is to have a low self esteem. That goes along with bullying. When teens are bullied they usually get a low self esteem. “Depression (major depressive disorder or clinical depression) is a common but serious mood disorder.”

Depression can lead to suicide and self harm. Depression causes severe symptoms that affect how you feel. People who don’t get depression cured often try to commit suicide. There are 117 suicides per day. There are treatment for depression. One treatment is talk therapy. Talk therapy is talking with a trained therapist. According to the website WebMD, “Talking with a trained therapist is one of the best treatments.” Talking to a therapist about the problems going on are a great way to get over depression. Most people chose to be in therapy for many months to get over depression.

Social Anxiety

Bullying also causes social anxiety. There are many types of anxiety but bullying mainly causes social anxiety. Social anxiety is a person who has an excessive fear of social situations. Teens with social anxiety may have been bullied so they maybe afraid to go to school and face people and bullies. People with social anxiety suffer from a fear of being watched, judged, or criticized. Luckily there are diagnoses for anxiety. According to the website, Healthline, “Several types of treatment are available for social anxiety disorder.” The treatment may differ from person to person though. For example, one person may only need one type of treatment while another needs more than one treatment. Some treatment options may include exposure therapy. Exposure therapy is the type of therapy that helps people face social situations. Another type of treatment is group therapy. Group therapy helps people with social anxiety learn social skills. There are many other types of treatment.

Suicide/ Self Harm

Suicide and self harm are the worse effect of bullying. Suicide is ending your own life. Self harm is cutting your wrists. Suicide is a very serious issue. According to the website AFSP  “On average, there are 117 suicides per day.” There are 117 people who suffer from bullying, depression, anxiety, and more effects that commit suicide each day. There are many ways people do commit suicide. One way is using a gun. Another way maybe a rope or even self harm can kill you. Self harm is also a serious issue in teens and some adults. Some ways people self harm is by cutting their wrists. People do this by using knifes, razor blades, rubber bands, paper, pencil sharpeners, and scissors. According to the website Mental Health America “Skin cutting (70-90%), head banging or hitting (21-44%), and burning (15-35%),” 70% through 90% of people cut their skin to self harm, 21% through 44% of people nag their heads on walls or tables, and 15% through 35% of people burn their skin. Self harm is very painful to victims. In one and twelve teens harm themselves. Self harm isn't just hitting yourself or cutting or burning. Self harm can include starving yourself. Starving yourself is not eating for days or weeks at a time. This is also called anorexia. According to the website Do Something “Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15-24-year-olds and 2nd for 24 to 35-year-olds.” Suicide is the third leading cause of death for teens and adults from ages 15 to 35.

The boy you saw that was shoved and had horrible things yelled at may have gone through all these effects. He is not alone, many people go through these effects. Next time you see someone getting bullied, help them, maybe save their life.

My piece is about the effects of bullying. I would like to inform bullies of these affects so that maybe they will think before they act.