A Bad Week | Teen Ink

A Bad Week MAG

I was having a bad week. Christmas was over and the weather was frigid. Schoolwork was piling up. Every teacher seemed to give an insurmountable assignment. I walked home in the 18 degree cold, feeling overwhelmed and a little sorry for myself. And then I noticed him, a man obviously homeless, pushing a shopping cart he no doubt "borrowed" from a local supermarket. It probably held most of his earthly possessions, which included a disheveled sleeping bag and a few bottles to be returned for a nickel each. He stood forlornly clapping his hands and stomping his feet, as if this action would replace central heating.

And then I realized how close I was to home and how, eventually, I would be warm and safe. It made me think about how lucky I was that my primary focus was not warmth or food, but academics. And so I thought, I have a lot to be thankful for.

I began an alphabetic list of the things I should be thankful for, like April vacation, apple pie, and autumn. My spirits rose as I remembered barbecues, babies, and birthdays. How glad I was to have had caring teachers, Celtics, and chicken wings. As I slid my key into the door, I realized that I had only reached the letter c. I felt warm and grateful. I told myself that the next overwhelming day, I would remember to begin with the letter d. c