Dear Me | Teen Ink

Dear Me

March 8, 2009
By jojo8221016 GOLD, Miami, Florida
jojo8221016 GOLD, Miami, Florida
13 articles 3 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams


Dear Me,


You are beautiful. Awkward as a cold snap in summer, but when you smile, it has the potential to light up any person's day. Your body is perfectly functional with limbs intact, a strong healthy heart, a pin straight spine, and clean lungs. So what if you're on the whiter side. They were royalty once. Dress the way you feel is appropriate. Mix trends and find your own style. Have your sexy, good, bad and those days where people sniff around to investigate who died. But don't forget to dress it up once in a while! It's nice to know someone's looking and plus, there's always room for an ego boost. Well, for most people.
When you speak, speak up, what you have to say is important. Don't let your words fade on the last syllable because you're intimidated. Sing loud and proud, you have a nice voice. Don't be afraid to raise your hand high in the air, eager to learn. And when you don't get it, asking for help is O.K. Intelligence is not based on grades or standardized tests. It is based on your ability to make connections, appreciate nearly all forms of humor, and tolerate people of every background, personality type, and size. There's always going to be a little racist in you, but that's natural. People have built boundaries between every color, sexual preference and religion. It is up to you however, to overcome the accepted hatred and compartmentalization. To acknowledge there is only one race, the human race, is possibly the hardest mental accomplishment you can achieve in your lifetime. Learning to love yourself is perhaps the second hardest. Fake confidence is relatively painless. Using insults to bring people down and feigning arrogance to bring yourself up is simple. But to genuinely feel comfortable in your own skin takes practice, and a lot of mistakes along the way. Cherish those mistakes. Smooth them over. But also realize some things cannot be undone.
Nonetheless, there is always room for change. Surround yourself with those that make you feel secure rather than always having to be on your guard with individuals that don't. Be aware of your surroundings, specifically people's gestures. You can tell more about a person's true sentiments from their eyes than any word uttered from their lips. Keep in mind the most valued 'clique' in your years is your family. This group can be non-blood related, as long as they are your guardians or siblings, and you consider them your superman, wonder-woman, or side-kick. And for goodness sakes, acquire some perspective! Your worst day includes food, water, shelter, and free will.

You're only a spec in the universe.





Love,

Your better half


The author's comments:
This was a bit of a conversation I had with myself when I was in a bad spot (in the mirror of course!). Hope it helps!