A Non-Reusable Syringe | Teen Ink

A Non-Reusable Syringe MAG

Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is a destructive and deadly disease for which a cure has not yet been found. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), the virus that causes AIDS, is transmitted through the exchange of body fluids such as semen and blood. The sharing of hypodermic syringes contaminated with infected blood has overtaken male homosexual contact as the leading cause of HIV infection. Current syringes, although intended for single use, nevertheless can be used repeatedly. The invention and universal implementation of a truly non-reusable syringe would eliminate the reuse and thus sharing of hypodermic syringes and would therefore reduce the rate of AIDS infection among injecting drug users. We have developed such a non-reusable syringe.

Our non-reusable syringe utilizes the force inherently exerted during an injection. The method of injection is no different from that of a standard hypodermic syringe. Our syringe has a simple mechanism that lies at the bottom of the syringe barrel. This mechanism is released when the piston is pulled up. The piston can move back and forth freely above the mechanism. When the syringe is "fired," thus returning the piston to the starting position, the mechanism, now released, captures the piston. The connection between the piston and the mechanism is stronger than the connection between the piston and the piston driver. If the piston driver is pulled with enough force, it will break away from the piston, rendering the syringe useless.

Our non-reusable syringe could save thousands of lives per year by helping to prevent the spread of AIDS. Our syringe would also reduce the transmission of other blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis and would have a significant impact on rising health care costs. In order for society to reap the full benefit of our syringe, it must be universally implemented. Government and industry must work together to make the implementation of this syringe possible. s

Students: Elizabeth Nathan f Gabriella Pollack

Teacher-Advisor: Laurie Seminara