Blue Ice: Research Base - Antartica | Teen Ink

Blue Ice: Research Base - Antartica MAG

Antarctic research is a constantly changing field. What was once done in multiple isolated field expeditions is now being done in larger, more organized and varied missions. Studies done provide important information about the origins and histories of the earth and solar system. A change in camp design must be made in order to accommodate changes in procedure.

Antarctica is the coldest, driest and windiest geographic location on earth, providing for great difficulty in designing research facilities. After intense research, we have posed a field camp solution employing tensile structures known as hypars; they are extremely strong, distributing the load evenly throughout the structure. Due to their light weight, portability, variability, and strength, hypars are well-suited to meet all of the requirements for a team of scientists to live in the Antarctic.

Hypars are especially favorable for Antarctic research facilities as their immense strength can withstand the great wind speed and drifting snow and their lightweight capability is ideal for transporting, storing and assembling them. The structure of the proposed field camp consists of a shell formed of nine hypars, covered with layers of insulation and an outer coating of Gore-Tex to keep out the wind, as this is of primary concern when building a camp.

Our proposal addresses energy needs, including that of computers, through solar collectors, using Coleman stoves as a backup source. Environmental and psychological factors of the situation have been addressed as well. Hypar structures have not yet been introduced in Antarctic research facilities, but as times and needs are constantly changing, there exists the possibility that this alternative will become a reality. s

Students: Cory Trembath f Taryn Williams f James Lawyer Teacher-Advisor: Daniel Nelson

Wow, I am curious, too! As one of the original authors (back in 1995), I'm very interested in how you folks found this article! Thanks!

trembc said...
just curious how this paper happened to be published here? Thanks!