The No-Slip Winter Shoe | Teen Ink

The No-Slip Winter Shoe MAG

We are proposing a new type of walking shoe that will revolutionize winter boots. This original shoe has metal prongs with rubber tip coverings on the sole. It provides more friction when walking on glassy sheets of ice. Our new shoe is designed to be safe for walking on surfaces with and without ice, and to prevent slips and falls.

Based upon research with manufacturing companies and ice-climbing books, we have designed our shoe with a special interior lining used in Lowa shoes called Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex is unique in the fact that it is able to allow perspiration to leave the shoe, while keeping moisture out. It is heated at a high temperature and becomes extremely thin. It is necessary to attach the Gore-Tex to another fabric, usually knit tricot. The sole would be made of a unique mix of plastic and rubber. The sole would provide the correct amount of friction, called a smearing technique, to allow the foot to have a firmer grip on ice. Another feature we added to our walking shoe is the foam that will be the basic mold for the shoe. We are using a material called Duratherm to hold the shoe upright and discourage sagging. This improves the longevity of the shoe.

Our winter shoe is designed with all the qualifications of an ice-climber's shoe - stiff but not rigid sole, secure heel, and lightweight feel. This technologically advanced shoe is different from others because it is safe for walking on ice. s

Students: Jamie Tong f Peggy Kong Teacher-Advisor: Susan Appel