Solutions: Teen Pregnancy | Teen Ink

Solutions: Teen Pregnancy MAG

I think I have a great solution to teen pregnancy. First of all, we need to cut out child centers in our schools. It's as if the schools are saying, "If you get a baby, it's good. Bring them here." I feel that school is a place to learn, not a baby-sitting service.

Second, I feel we should have more programs with parents who care about their children to talk about the consequences that come with teen intimacy. We should also take kids to some of these hospitals where our youth are suffering from diseases and wishing they could turn back the hands of time and wait until the right person came along to have sex. I can say this because I've been to the hospitals. I've seen intelligent people dying because of one night of pleasure. I've seen girls with babies who don't know the first thing about parenting. And the babies! Nobody really thinks about the babies. They didn't ask to be here, but they are. Babies are people who need love, a decent home, and above all two parents who love them very much. And what are we doing? I think it's time America wakes up and does something about this problem.

A majority of the kids will listen and try to change, but there are always some kids who will kick back and say, "Oh, that won't happen to me," until something does. But by the time they open their eyes to the truth, it's already too late.

Young people, live your lives at your age level! Don't grow up too fast. Enjoy your childhood while it's still here, because before you know it, that precious childhood is gone. c

i love this so much!

heygurl said...
on Mar. 27 2011 at 4:15 pm
yeah umm well you ar every irresponsible of you you ar eway to young to have a child

on Mar. 27 2011 at 12:00 pm
i think that they do need it.....im a mom and im 13

picklepop14 said...
on Mar. 26 2011 at 8:43 pm
I'm sorry, I meant a lot of my friends's older brother or sister are less than 20 years younger than their mom or dad. But the same goes for their parents.

Picklepop14 said...
on Mar. 26 2011 at 8:41 pm
I agree with Erika, a lot of my friends's older brothers or sisters are less than 20 years older than their child, and personaly, I just think it's wrong. Like Erika said, live your life! Nobody is stopping you. Go on, be happy, live freely, and wait until it is the right time, not because it's "the cool thing" to do.

on Mar. 26 2011 at 5:56 pm
Honestly if you agree or disagree at least back up why you think that. I agree, the things at school are like encouraging teens to have kids, its like theyre saying "hey have a baby you don't need to worry because well babysit no problem." Personally I think teens that have sex and get pregnant are stupid because if you do it then you should be prepared for the consequences not just sit around moping going "OMG!! this maybe is like totally ruining my life!!" If your really in love with someone then you guys can wait till your older to have sex when you can actually take care of your baby. If someone dumps you because you won't have sex with them then they obviously never really cared about you in the first place so people just don't do it!!!!

OHdarling said...
on Mar. 26 2011 at 4:28 pm
Or we could just, oh I don't know, not have premarital sex.

on Mar. 26 2011 at 12:59 pm
I'm sorry but your solutions don't really address the complete problem. While i agree that parents should discuss with their childrens the danger of sex, removing daycare centers is not a valid solution. What we need to do is put more money into educating kids about the dangers of sex- and about the preventative measure, such as birth control, that are available. We can't deny the fact that many high  schoolers will have sex, but we can educate them and make sure that they are protected.

on Mar. 26 2011 at 12:44 pm
hannahbbycakes, Brownsburg, Indiana
Why??

txtaholic101 said...
on Mar. 26 2011 at 12:02 pm
txtaholic101, Wahiawa, Hawaii
I absolutely agree with this article. We need to make sure that teens understand how serious getting pregnant is. There are consequences, not the leaset of which is having another life to take care of. Thanks for hitting it spot on.

on Mar. 26 2011 at 11:44 am
I totally agree.

on Mar. 26 2011 at 11:12 am
Hey, listen up, ok there is only one way to stop teen pregnancy....."FAIL"

mrssouza00 said...
on Mar. 26 2011 at 12:43 am
YOU are totally right about the school. they are just giving permission for them to have kids. I was a teen mom and i love my kids dearly but there are days that i wish i would have waited to have them.  it is hard not only financially bit physicially and emotionally. on a good note though i married the dad and we have been together since 7th grade. but even though  we are good now i lost out on a lot of stuff i wanted to do all because i had to have sex. girls i am telling you from experience stay a teen dont have sex it can and will wait. life your life now and enjoy teen hood you wil regret it later if you dont i know i am i want to hang out with friends and go clubbing and stuff but i cant because i cant afford a baby sitter or day care. we live pay check to paycheck  and barly survive. so please keep the clothes on and dont  have sex.

Ace81 said...
on Mar. 26 2011 at 12:42 am

Wow Emily, really insightful.

Teen preganancy has become an epidemic because parents and schools are either preaching abstinece or ignoring the issue altogether. We have the media and peers educating our children on sex and intimacy, parents need to speak to their children openly. I was a teen mom, while I personally have no regrets (me and the dad who is now my husband are still together 14 years later and doing well for ourselves) I will say that there is a lot we missed out on. It's not easy being a parent as an adult, let alone as a child. And though me and my husband did stay together, it really isn't realistic to think that you will stay together at such a young age, there are very few exceptions.

Parents need to pay more attention to their kids! There are so many signs when a teen becomes sexually active... parents be proactive!! Get your kids on birth control as soon as you know they might be ready, bring them in for testing, get to know who they are dating. Stay involved and set an example!! 

Kateri said...
on Mar. 25 2011 at 11:51 pm

I disagree as well.

First of all child care centers in school are not just for students. Teachers, as well as administrators have children that are too young to remain home alone.

Also there are not many sexually transmitted diseases that can cause death, especially when they are treated. In fact the only two incurable/serious stds that can cause death even when treated are HPV (cervical cancer) and AIDS/HIV

Also babies do need love but not all teens will keep their child either choosing abortion or adoption as an option. If the parents of the teen are supporting them then they have a good network of love to grow up in. Your point about needing two parents is irrelevent as single parent homes can be just as sucessful as homes with two parents

Lastly I think that we need to realize that no matter what teens are going to have sex. With that knowledge we should be teaching them to protect themselves from STDS, and pregnancy, and open up resources for teens to get a well rounded sexual education.

kemarie21 said...
on Mar. 25 2011 at 10:35 pm
I totally agree. We have teens in the 7th and 8th grade that want to get pregnant because it makes high school easier. I think the teens need to be taken to a different school the moment they are pregnant. This will show to kids that you get pregnant that there is a punishment to it. Then maybe less kids would get pregnant years ago thats how it was. That was a time that teens didn't want to get pregnant. I had at least a dozen friends get pregnant in high school and they all wished it never happened.

Momma said...
on Mar. 25 2011 at 7:55 pm
So in other words, you need to tell teenagers the truth:  that premarital sex is dangerous, reckless, soul-stripping, and that being a teen mom ruins the baby's life.  That'll never pass the thought-police at indoctrination centers (aka public schools).

~Rae~ said...
on Mar. 25 2011 at 4:00 pm
Okay first let's have a serious reality check - NOT all teen moms are moms because of consensual sex. That said I fall into that group. I'll be twenty this year and my baby just turned three years old you do the math. I strongly disagree with your statements about schools centers; I mean what do YOU think should happen? People who do decide not to murder their child should be punished, shouldn't be able to go to school? Yeah that's a real problem solver there huh? But a large part of the problem should be solved at home. Parents need to step up, get involved with the kids. Until that happens and the source of the problem is taken care of then everything is just like a Band-Aid.

Em[ily] said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 2:13 pm
I disagreee.