When I Became a Vegetarian | Teen Ink

When I Became a Vegetarian

By Rachel Benvenuto BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
Rachel Benvenuto BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

I have never liked eating red meat. When I was little, I just didn't enjoy the texture or the taste. I didn't really associate the fact that meat was from animals. However, I used to love bacon. I would get so excited when we had it for breakfast. Then I discovered when I was in kindergarten that bacon came from pigs and I haven't eaten it since.

I did eat chicken though until the summer after fifth grade. We were coming home from Bethany Beach and I smelled something awful. Up ahead was an open crate-like truck full of chickens. The poor chickens were absolutely packed into this truck. As we passed the truck, I could see some of the chickens looking out of the truck. It was as if they knew their fate. It changed my life forever. I decided that day that I would not eat any creatures of the land or sea.

I think it is cruel to kill animals to use for food and fur. I support PETA (Persons for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). One of my favorite posters in my bedroom is a picture of a little chick that says 'I am not a nugget.' I believe that we should be kind and compassionate to all living creatures. When I grow up, I would like to become a vet so I can help animals and give them proper care. Being a vet would help me make a difference in the lives of animals.