Life | Teen Ink

Life MAG

By Anonymous

   Up until a few months ago, I didn't understand how precious life really is. You would never find me sitting around thinking that death might be creeping through my door. I honestly looked ahead and thought about getting married one day or having kids. The concept of not waking up tomorrow or never seeing another sunset probably never entered my mind.

It was a summer day, the kind of day when people skip work to hang out with their friends. That was exactly what I was doing. I didn't feel I could work on such a fabulous day, so I went to my friend Lumpy's house to hang with the boys. Everything was great; we played pool, volleyball, watched movies, and hung out with some fine looking ladies.

At five, we were up in Lumpy's room trying to figure out what to do that evening. Lumpy was talking on the phone and got a beep. He said it was my mom. I said, "Tell her I'll call her back." Lumpy told me that it was an emergency. I grabbed the phone and screamed, "What is the matter? Are you all right?" Her voice sounded as if she had been crying and I didn't have the slightest idea what was going on. Then she said, "You know your cousin Jeffrey?" I said, "Of course!" And then she said, "He's dead." I dropped the phone and went right home.

My mom grabbed me as I walked through the door and wouldn't let go for about five minutes. She told me he had been hit by a car while rollerblading.

I didn't know what to feel. I was sad, but I was also mad and wanted to beat up the person who had taken my young cousin's life. He was only twelve and hadn't even begun to live. I must have asked God a hundred times, "Why him? Why him?" But I only came up with one conclusion: when it's your time to go, there is no way to stop it.

My whole outlook on life has changed. I try to be happy knowing that I get to wake up each day and see my friends. I really understand how precious life is and that I should never take it for granted. I still see my family but my cousin will never be able to again. c