Barnes and Noble | Teen Ink

Barnes and Noble

By Melissa McBride BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
Melissa McBride BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

A space sits unoccupied in the parking lot. Rain pours down, bathing my desperately deserving car. My wipers sway back and forth as music lightly floods my white Buick's interior. I pull into the space, put the car in park, and turn it off. I have arrived. Barnes and Noble awaits me.

Aromas of fresh coffee and newly printed pages fill my nostrils as I open the door. Wooden shelves lined with every title imaginable fill the store and irresistible displays of featured books clad the isles. Some days I go to study; some days I simply go for some uninterrupted time to myself. Whatever the occasion, big, plush lazy boys always welcome my presence. Light jazz music fills my ears in perfect resonance, not to disturb my concentration.

Before finding that perfect seat I often make a detour to the caf'. Here they brew Starbucks coffee, a favorite of mine. My order typically consists of a nonfat Grande white chocolate mocha with no whip cream. They creamy delicacy soothes my soul as I make my way through the seemingly endless rows, pondering each and every cover. I find pleasure in looking at the little trinkets that fill the places books don't, for they always spark my creativity.

It's hard to pull myself away from the never-ending shelves, but eventually I find a seat. Coffee in hand, I sink into the chair as if I were a rock in water. The books open up onto my lap. My mind enters their pages, almost escaping reality. I do my best studying here and my test grades surely show it. Two hours pass but it seems like nothing. My empty coffee cup is the only reason I notice.

It's hard to leave this peaceful oasis. My mind is void of all the troubles that wait for me outside these four walls and I am not looking forward to their reentry. As I exit the large, green glass double-doors I hear soft voices greeting me goodbye. As expected, my troubles welcome my return. They; however, seem much more manageable now. It's as if my mind has been vacuumed of the stress and worry that tends to blanket my reasoning. It's a comfort knowing that the aromas of fresh coffee and newly printed pages will be there next week, for when that same stress and worry needs revacuumed, I'll know just where to go.