Acceptance And Applause | Teen Ink

Acceptance And Applause MAG

It is a Thursday during one of the longest weeks of the year. Friday has almost reached me, but even then I don't get to rest. So why do I put myself through all this? Why go to rehearsals every night during the week from 6 p.m. to midnight? Am I crazy? Mildly insane? No, I'm just an ordinary thespian, acting, singing, and dancing my way through my latest production.

Where is the reasoning behind this strange behavior? Why would I put up with all this when I could be sleeping, eating regularly, or getting caught up on my mounting homework? It's simple: there's really no way to truly explain it! The feeling after a good performance is like no other and it can't be explained - only experienced. All the late nights of rehearsals, the make-up (yes, even guys wear it), the lack of sleep, the volatile emotions of the cast are all focused on four performances. There is much pride that comes from being able to put out a highly effective product, with 40 others whom you've worked with closely and gotten to know and trust. The camaraderie may not sound important, but it is.

Respect and trust are essential elements for a cast that have to be achieved in order for the people in the play to take it to the next level: a group production, rather than several individual performances. It forces you to like people for their good points instead of hating them for their bad ones. Thankfully, the cast I'm in now follows this philosophy. Of course, the final thing that drives everyone in theater is applause. Some people say that acting is just a pathetic attempt to grab attention for oneself, and, of course, they're right.

But what's so wrong about going out, giving people a good time, and receiving recognition for it? It's a basic human need, fulfilled by drama.

I hope I've given you a better view on why certain people put themselves through the rigors of being in a play. It's a sacrifice, but it's worth it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to do my math homework, wash up, and scarf down dinner, all in an hour-and-a-half, before I grab my things, run out the door ... c