Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

Half the time I felt so alone. Like I couldn't tell anybody anything out of fear that I was going to be judged or hated for my thoughts and feelings. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shy, I never was, and I probably never will be. I'm loud and fun, and defiantly a people person. I've always been that way, but I was never open and honest about my thoughts until I met my best friends.

I have five best friends, and they're basically my sisters. We all have different personalities that mesh together so well, it's almost as if whatever's missing in one can be found in the other.

I absolutely cannot stand to be home, but it's not because I'm not happy with my family or my home life, I just feel I'm not myself when I'm there. All of my sisters are gone, and the house is so quiet and depressing. I feel like I'm boring when I'm there. That's why being with my friends is so important to me, solely because when I'm with them I can escape the boring and bland life I live at home and be happy and fun and carefree, the person I really am, with my friends.

We all learn something new about each other every day we all spend together. Whether it's about one another-secrets, things only oneself can unlock and expose to the world-or even things like humor and skills for life. I've never really had a best friend before these girls came into my life. I was always the girl who wasn't friends with other girls. I hung out with guys for most of my elementary school years, it was easy, there was no drama, and really no emotion attached to the friendship.
I had always felt like an outsider, I wanted to be friends with girls, but I just didn't know how. I never really fit in anywhere. I wasn't girly enough, fun enough, pretty enough, I was never enough. But when they came along, I was no longer an outsider; I was a girl who had friends that I had only ever dreamt about.
When I'm with them, I grow as a person, and discover something new about myself. They've molded and shaped me into who I am today. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be where I am today. It's important to do something you love because you learn and grow from it, and I've defiantly learned and grown from the experiences I've had from being with my friends.