Beautiful | Teen Ink

Beautiful MAG

I watched the blades spin as though they were part of an amusement park ride. Part of me feared what I knew was to come while another part of me was filling with excitement. Should I go for it? My best friend turned toward me and I knew my answer. I climbed enthusiastically through the small but thick door of the helicopter without saying a word. I couldn't speak.

Mr. Jones, the pilot, instructed us to put on our seat belts and slip on the large, white, bug-like headphones placed behind us. While we were preparing for liftoff I was slightly nervous. As we propelled from the landscape my fears and doubts were left on the ground. I felt free.

I watched below as we soared over West Beach. To my fascination I saw all my friends staring up at us. I wished they could experience what I was feeling. It all seemed so far away. It was hard to believe I had left that same beach only a half hour before.

As I looked toward the earth below I saw landscapes that portrayed paintings and an ocean that seemed bottomless. Beautiful. This was the only word to describe what I saw. I felt at that moment I had the whole world ahead of me; or at least what was the whole world to me.

Mr. Jones did what he called "a 180" and I was now on my way home. We were moving through the air so fast. It was amazing. It made me feel as though I could do anything. I was disappointed knowing I had to return to all my realities below.

When the helicopter landed on the ground, my friend and I looked at each other. I knew this was a moment that would never be forgotten. I looked at her and we both said "beautiful." c