Skittles | Teen Ink

Skittles

January 25, 2009
By Anonymous

I waited and waited for my owner to come home. My owner, Kaycee, stays at school all day. I don't know why she doesn't just stay home all day and play with me. I mean, I'm fun right? What's the point of having a cat if you're not going to play with it? Oh, wait I think she's home. “Come on, come on open the door already. Hi . . . Hello? Can’t you hear me? Yes, I hear you yelling my name, Skittles. I’m right here”

“Are you going to play with me now? Okay, good you picked me up. Okay . . . easy on the fur, Salem just cleaned me. Oh wait, don’t put me down I want to play. Don’t you dare walk away from me?” As I followed her all the way to my room I tried to get her attention by jumping on her leg about a thousand times. I mean what do you expect from a thirteen year old? Another thing that I don’t understand is why she goes to my room every day after school. She sleeps in this room, plays in this room, and always hangs out in this room. It’s my room; why else would there be cat posters on the wall if it wasn’t my room?

“Hey, so you pay attention to the other cat Salem instead of me? Well, there is only one way to get your attention.” So I ran all over my room knocking things over, tearing pictures apart with my claws and teeth. Kaycee started yelling and screaming at me. I don’t know what her problem is; it’s not her room anyway!

She was still by Salem. I decided I needed to pounce and attack Salem. So that is exactly what I did. Later on, I found out that was not such a great idea when I got kicked out of my room. I did what I always do at that point, whine and cry right outside of my door until she gets annoyed enough to let me in. The next day was Saturday. Saturday is my favorite day of the week because I get wet food. Tyler, Kaycee’s brother got me wet food that morning. Yummy! Once I finished I ran over to my room, but then crashed right into a wall which I do a lot, but I kept on running.

Once I got to my room that lazy bum Kaycee was there lying on the floor doing what she calls homework. I saw her swinging a pencil from side to side while she was thinking. The pencil looked like it was really fun to play with so I grabbed it in my mouth and ran off with it. As Tyler opened the front door to go outside, I exited too. I heard him yell Skittles as Kaycee ran outside chasing me down the street.

As I was running down the street cars stopped right in front of me and honked their horns. I got scarred and ran into an office building. Kayceee was still chasing me. People in the offices started screaming and dropping their coffee as I ran past them. “What is wrong with these people? They act like they have never seen a cat before!” Kaycee finally caught me and yelled “bad girl.” I got in big trouble and Kaycee had to apologize to all of the people in the building.

That night I heard this funny noise coming from the outside. I saw the front door accidentally was left open. So I trotted outside where I saw people riding these big bikes with this strange motor sound. Once they saw me it looked like they were starting to chase after me, trying to run me over! I got scared and started running away from them. They still kept chasing me though. I wasn’t fast enough. They kept getting closer and closer until they finally hit me. I limped all the way home in pain. Once my family saw me, they took me to the vet right away.

When I was in the car, I overheard Kaycee say that I was the most annoying cat ever. I arrived at the vet and she examined me. Then I heard her say that it wasn’t just my leg that was injured but that I was hurt very badly and I would have to be put to sleep. Kaycee walked up to me and told me that I was one of the best cats that she has ever had. She held me tightly and kissed me all over. She told me that I wasn’t annoying and how sorry she was. I was happy to hear that but I was still sad and scared. The last thing I remember was getting sleepy, and sleepier and sleepier, and sleeeeepieeeerr.

The author's comments:
Kaycee loves to write. She is in 8th grade and really does have 2 cats named Skittles and Salem. They are both great cats, and she loves them a lot. And don't worry, Skittles is really alive!