Victory | Teen Ink

Victory

Victory is defined in the English language as; the defeat of an enemy in battle, or of an antagonist in any contest; a gaining of the superiority in any struggle or competition. Somehow it is so belittled in this definition. Victory is what on the 20th of January was gifted not only to ‘blacks’ but to anyone who believed and fought for the demolishment of an ideal to have a God given superiority based on the color of your skin. One might say that I'm wrong -- they could be right. That this victory of African Americans was before in Martin Luther King Jr. or Malcolm X…. etc. there is truth in that. Not as a victory but the steps towards victory. Then what is victory you might ask, I don’t know or I didn’t because ever since I could remember my parents, my teachers, and my elders in general have prayed, talked and hoped for victory of Muslims and Islam. When they pray and say “God give the Muslims victory” I say ‘Amen’, and believe they mean the victory of peace and equality. That was until the inauguration of President Barak Obama. I could see it then. What they meant I mean. I understood why the coldest of people would cry as they prayed for it. Why the laziest of all people would get up at nigh to pray for it. Why the people of Bosnia, Sabra-Shatila, Gaza, Badr and so many more fought against laughable odds for the small steps to be taken, so that one day what they craved for and what the saw would be a reality. Because Victory is neither the defeat of an enemy nor the semblance of power, rather the knowing that there is no enemy and there is no master to slave you. The embodiment of Victory is there when thousands came from all over the United States to watch one man say an oath, when you can stand up and know and shout that your fathers have not died in vain. Victory is the dream a child can have with no obstacles in his or her way. Victory is when Barak Husain Obama swore under God to become the president of the United States of America.
I pray for such a Victory for Muslims, women, and mankind.