Learning By Dissection This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In my freshman year, I expected to do a lot more hands-on experiments in science. Hands-on has been the theme of this year. Every unit we covered is accompanied by a laboratory based on the material we are studying. We, as a class, have looked at microscopic animals, plants and even at disease, but nothing has been more informative than the three dissections we completed.

This year my class dissected an earthworm, a frog and a pig. The grade we received is not important, but rather we learned more about how our bodies work and what each organ is responsible for.

Dissecting has made understanding the body easier because we learned through these fun experiments. The class ended with studying the human body. Seeing it in a species that is only a few branches away on the evolution family tree has made this unit a bit easier. u