Moving On | Teen Ink

Moving On MAG

By Anonymous

   Moving on is one of the hardest things to do. You must leave your friends and favorite places behind. You are careful not to forget. As time passes you begin to forget little things: people's names, special dates, details of special events in your life. You live for phone calls from those you left behind. Always wanting and wishing you could return to your friends and loved ones. You drift amongst the cliques of your new school, not fitting in and feeling inadequate. You fear getting involved, feeling you are betraying your friends. As the days pass and the months roll on, you find a place for yourself in your new school. You are still searching for the one thing that would make you happiest. You look among all the cliques at school for the one true friend who knows you better than even your parents do.

The first year is the hardest. If you are lucky, your grades slide by, just above the failing mark. You are exploring new opportunities and trying new things. It is like kindergarten all over again, only this time the kids are bigger. The classes seem harder and the teachers are unfeeling and out to get you. For the first few weeks you work unbelievably hard. No one knows you well enough to let you cheat off them, so you continue to work harder than even the smart kids. You try out for sports unaware of the coach's expectations and doubting your own abilities.

It is not until you hit rock bottom that anyone notices you. It is at this point you find what you have been searching for. Anyone who sees you says you look like sisters. You do everything together. She even introduces you to him. He is smart, good-looking, and thinks the world of you. He is strong and athletic and likes all the same things you do. He asks you to the prom, and of course, you accept. For the rest of the year you feel like you are floating on the top of the world. You do great in school and everyone around you prospers.

At the end of the year, your team votes you MVP and you get a huge, shiny trophy. Everything is going great and you are happy with life for a change. It's not until you find out you have to move again that life changes. You plunge into a deep depression. Your boyfriend dumps you right before the prom and only your best friend stands by you.

As your moving van pulls away, your heart is torn apart for what you hope is the last time. You once again wake up in a strange house in a new town. You must once again move on and give up a large part of your life. You take away only painful memories and hopes for the future. So the cycle of your assimilation begins anew.