Parents Aren't All That Bad | Teen Ink

Parents Aren't All That Bad MAG

By Anonymous

   Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that parents can be a real pain sometimes! But in reality, they aren't all that bad. You just need to think about it.

Just like you, I have a mother who is forever reminding me that I should bring a coat, buckle my seat belt, and be good. I have a father, too, who often leaves memos reminding me that I haven't, yet, gotten around to mowing the lawn, or painting the garage door! So, before you assume that my parents let me do whatever I want, you need to understand that they definitely don't!

Something we all need to remember is that all our parents are special in their very own unique way. I honestly don't see how my parents could be any different, but they always have one thing in common, no matter what: They love me, my brother, and my sister, and always will. There is absolutely nothing in this world that could ever change that. We are unceasingly loved by our parents.

My mother and I certainly aren't best friends, but if I ever have some extremely traumatic teenage crisis (like a bad hair day), I know I can count on her 100 percent to be there for me. She is a shoulder to cry on, and always ends an argument (whether brief or major) with a hug, and an "I love you." She is always interested in my school activities, and in my friends. She is usually very patient, but when it comes to some major problems, it's hard for her to cope. That's usually where Dad steps in.

My father is unquestionably the more typical of the two. He always sees things so clearly, and manages to help the rest of us with just about every possible problem. When it's twelve o'clock at night, and I'm still up doing that book report that was assigned three months earlier, Mom is never very happy. Dad, on the other hand, spares me the lecture on procrastination, and helps me do the best job I can. My father is also the one who taught me to have faith in myself, and in God. Every Sunday, my father takes my brother and me to church. He taught me how to pray, and without that skill, I wonder if I could have made it through many of those tough times.

I have the type of parents who would stay up until eleven at night to help me make president buttons for the school elections, or encourage me to try something new, even if it wasn't what they had really hoped for. They don't expect me to follow in anyone's footsteps. They are proud of me for who I am!

Tell me again how bad your parents are?

That's what I thought. They really aren't that bad after all. The part that should touch you deep down inside is that all parents ask in return for their years of devotion, is a hug, kiss, and an

"I love you." c