Unconditional Love | Teen Ink

Unconditional Love MAG

By Anonymous

   As a tear gently rolled down my cheek, I glanced to look at her one last time. It hadn't hit me that I would never see her precious face again. I would never hear her high-pitched bark or her loud shrieks for attention. I would never be able to look into her deep, brown eyes ever again. It seemed so unfair to me at that moment. Although I had been expecting her death for a while, I couldn't believe it actually happened. Maybe it was best for her. She was very old and could hardly move around, but to lose her without even having the opportunity to tell her how much I loved her was absolutely unbearable for me.

Many people tried to comfort me, saying, "Don't worry, she's just a dog." But to me, she was more than a mindless animal depending on me to fulfill her needs. She was a companion and a playmate. She was there whenever I needed to talk and the best thing was she never gave me her opinion. When I cried, she would always climb onto my lap and lick the tears off my cheeks. Basically, she was my best friend. Since I was three years old, she had been part of my family, and without even a chance to say good-bye, she was gone. I will never forget all she gave to me and the fun times we spent together.

And even though she is no longer with me, she will always remain in my heart as my best friend. c