Space Ships In Pieces | Teen Ink

Space Ships In Pieces MAG

If your family's car broke into pieces while you were riding in it, you'd be in serious trouble, right? Correct, so you think that it would also be true for a space ship that was propelled into the air and into outer space, right? Wrong, the first space ship that took men to the moon broke into six pieces during its trip. If you think that the men were in trouble, you're wrong. The ship was designed to break into six pieces. Each piece carried fuel and rocket engines. After the rockets in each piece used up the fuel, the piece was dropped off into the Atlantic Ocean.

Three pieces had been dropped off by the time the space ship reached the moon. The pieces that were left were the service module, the lunar module, and the command module. The astronauts rode in the command module. The three pieces orbitted the moon.

Then two of the astronauts went into the command module. It was a tiny ship that rode in a piggyback fashion on the command module. It unfastened from the command module and the two astronauts rode onto the moon. There they walked around and explored the moon. Then they rocketed back up to the command module. When they were back inside the command module, the lunar module dropped off.

Now only two pieces of the space ship were left. The rockets in the service module roared. They carried the command module away from the moon and back to the earth. When its job was finished, the service module was dropped off. All by itself the command module, with the astronauts inside, finished the long trip back to earth plunging into the Pacific Ocean. u