If I'm Flying Solo.. | Teen Ink

If I'm Flying Solo..

February 25, 2009
By Sarah Godfrey BRONZE, Forest Grove,OR, Oregon
Sarah Godfrey BRONZE, Forest Grove,OR, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Anyone,

if you think I've changed:I have. If you don't like it,learn to live with or don't. My life is not waiting for anyone another life except for a few people who deserve it.
If you want to get self righteous:don't try it here. I've always tried my best not to criticize people for what they do because I don't know what's going on in their head or what they feel or have to go through. I would suggest the same for you because none of us are God no matter how "good" of Christian we are.We don't know everything about everyone.
Yes,I've made my mistakes and I'll make many more.I'm sure you have and will too. I don't always make the right choice but I'm not ashamed of who I am. In fact, I have confidence in myself. So don't plan on taking out your probelms on my insecurities and mistakes.
I don't have time for petty drama, because there are bigger things in life than things like you feeling excluded because you don't include yourself.There are people in Africa who are dying of AIDS and starvation! There are small children who lay cold in their beds crying themselves to sleep because they are abused by their parents and the child believes that their life is a mistake.So do I feel sympathy for how you feel when it's ridiculous? Not a chance in the world.
So basically this ranting letter is a goodbye. A goodbye to anyone holding me down from my life and experiencing growing up. I'm sick of associating with people of cruel intentions.So this is goodbye to you. In the song,"Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked, it says "..and if I'm flying solo,at least I'm flying free..". Leaving you makes me feel...free.

Truly (No Longer) Yours,

Sarah


The author's comments:
This was specically written out of frustration for a certain person just to let my anger out. I've sure alot of people have gone through having to hear "You've changed too much.." or "You're not yourself." when sometimes we're just growing up! People change,feelings change,circumstances change. Feeling so frustrated with always hearing how bad of a person I am when I know I'm not, I finally wrote this and it sure was a release. I believe the main theme in this piece is the feeling of having independence call out to you for the first time.