Sammy | Teen Ink

Sammy

It was about five o-clock when I got outside to go do my chores. My sister Becca had just got home from work. She was laughing so hard; it looked like she was going to pee herself. I looked at her and asked, “What’s so funny?”
She looked at me then and said, “Nothing.” I looked up and Jon was on the roof trying to stop my cat from jumping into the dog pen. My cat still loves Jon, even though just threw him off the roof.
Cats have bad memories, so if you hurt them or they get mad at you, they forget about it in less than thirty minutes. When my step dad Arthur moved in with my mother, he had brought his huge cat Sammy with him. I was only 3 or 4 years old.
Immediately I wanted to sleep with him. When I tried to pull him on to my bed, I couldn’t because he was so heavy. I asked my mom to help me. When I went to sleep, I tucked myself in and pulled Sammy up close to me.
While I was sleeping, I was moving over to my side and Sammy bit me right on the nose. It hurt like crazy. I went to the bathroom to look in the mirror and it was bleeding. I jogged to the living room to tell my mom. She told me to go get my step dad because she was busy. When I went to my step dad and told him, he got up and took Sammy off my bed.
The next morning I woke up to the smell of breakfast. Then I felt something heavy on the side of my face. Sure enough, Sammy was on the side of my face sleeping. I gently pushed him off. I had to use all my strength on the 20 pound. cat. He woke and raised the side of his lip. I thought he was going to bite me, but then he sniffed me and took over my pillow. I jumped off my bunk bed and ran to the kitchen. I said good morning to my mom and helped her cook.
That night Sammy slept on the side of my face again. In the morning my mom came to wake me up and she saw Sammy on my face. She thought he was smothering me, but he wasn’t. Sammy then slid off my face and walked to the end of the bed, acting as if nothing had happened.
Now I have trouble sleeping without him. He sleeps on my bed almost every night. He’s a pain in the butt when he doesn’t get what he wants. But he’s a good cat and I love him.