The Test | Teen Ink

The Test MAG

The girl lingered in the hallway, frantically forcing theorems and postulates into her head. The late bell rang and she rushed into her classroom. She fell into her seat.

"Clear your desks and get out pencils for the test," the teacher instructed. When he was satisfied with the emptiness of the desks, the teacher handed out the test. As the girl glanced at her test, her heart sank. She did not know this. She was sure that whoever knew which postulate said that AB + BC = AC was a prodigy. She looked down at her hands. They felt itchy and cold. Suddenly the fire alarm sounded.

"Okay, class, you know the drill." The teacher smiled at his play on words. "Single file out the door. No talking. Last one out close the door. Check the windows ..." As her teacher barked out orders, the girl screamed a silent shout of "YES." The whole school walked like zombies out into the crisp autumn air. After about fifteen minutes, they were allowed back into the building. As usual, there were rumors there really was a fire and they were all doomed.

"Well, due to a rather uneventful fire drill, I'll have to postpone your test until Monday," the teacher said, looking at the clock. The first bell rang. The girl floated out of the classroom, breathing a huge sigh of relief knowing that she would have two more days to put off studying. c