Cloning Animals Is Fine... | Teen Ink

Cloning Animals Is Fine... MAG

"Cloning animals is fine. How about humans?" Some say that the newest scientific discovery, cloning, is an advance in the scientific world. Others say that cloning is acceptable for animals, but not for humans. And some say that cloning is altogether morally and ethically wrong. I believe that it would be amazing and interesting to see yourself in the future but physically in the past. If scientists were able to clone humans, it could result in ethical problems and cause major havoc in society. In some cases it could solve many problems and help the economy, but in many cases it could cause commotion.

The amazing cloning was done by Dr. Ian Wilmut, a 52-year-old embryologist at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh. He said that he wanted to create new animals that could be used for medical research, and he dismissed the notion of cloning humans. "There is no reason in principle why you couldn't do it." But he added, "All of us would find that offensive."

Cloning brings up the question of whether it is suitable for human life and the risks it brings to us. There's the possibility that cloning could produce major breakthroughs and the possibility could provoke many dilemmas. If scientists are able to clone humans, it raises a host of unsettling possibilities. It could help breed perfect organ donor and create heightened intelligence or physical talents. These possibilities seem too far-fetched right now. A clone of a human would have a different environment than the person whose DNA it carries and would be a different person. It would have a different soul and have different experiences.

Cloning is like like fire - it can serve a good purpose if used correctly, or it can be destructive if played with in the wrong manner. Everyone knows that this isn't going to be an easy dilemma. Half of the world probably would agree to clone and half would wish to eliminate it entirely. At the moment, no one knows what will happen. We're all going to have to wait and see if we are going to be able to see our own clone. u