A Special Angel | Teen Ink

A Special Angel MAG

I'd seen my sister fall to the ground and then time seemed to stop. Confusion set in. I saw my brother leave to call for help. I listened as the sirens became louder and louder. They were all I heard. They filled my mind with confusion.

My sister is an angel. She has a heart greater than anyone. She loves everybody and everybody loves her. She's outgoing, friendly, funny, caring, and not the least bit prejudiced. She leads a life that any twenty-three year old might. She has a job, a boyfriend, loves to talk on the phone, listen to music, and watch TV. But my sister is different from most twenty-three-year-olds. She has Down's syndrome.

Her name is Kerry. She is beautiful, but sometimes people stare at her. They don't understand why she looks different. She is often hard to understand when she talks. Some people feel uncomfortable around her but I do not understand why. I have never thought of Kerry as different, just special. I was scared when Kerry was rushed to the hospital. I had never felt the reality of her having Down's syndrome, never thought how hard it is for her. She was far more frightened than I was.

Things happen in each of our lives that remind us of reality. My sister has Down's syndrome. I've known that all my life, I've just never thought about when she'll die. I can't imagine life without my sister, but when she does pass away, her memory will live forever. She has found a place in my heart and in many others. We will never forget her. My sister is special - she is an angel.