Cloning | Teen Ink

Cloning MAG

Just think of waking up, walking to the breakfast table and seeing a copy of yourself. Cool, right? Well, some believe it wouldn't be. After the successful cloning of a sheep in Scotland, many believe that we are on the brink of human cloning. And that has the whole scientific community on its toes. But now President Clinton has stepped in, banning all testing that has to do with human cloning.

"I believe we must respect this profound gift and resist the temptation to replicate ourselves," said Clinton on the issue. The notice came ten days after the announcement that a sheep, "Dolly," was cloned, and two days after researchers in Oregon had reported they had bred a pair of rhesus monkeys from cloned embryo cells. The president also acknowledged that most cloning experiments are done by private companies not affected by the federal ban.

These companies are trying to use the beneficial aspects of cloning to create pigs with humanized organs to transplant into people. Making goats that have human medicines in their milk would be a great benefit. Many of those involved in cloning stated they were not interested in cloning humans even if the technology was possible, and after the ban they restated this.

The real problem is that many experts are afraid cloning will get out of hand. They worry that those who are cloning will start to create a race of superhumans who are as close to perfect as possible. That's not all that bad, but the truth is these people may also be inclined to create a race of slaves to work for the "Master race." They are also afraid that having a child would lose its former significance. People could walk into a store and pick out their child in a catalog. Who knows, someday you may be buying a house that comes with a free child, blond hair, blue eyes and intelligent. u