Computers Taking Over The World? | Teen Ink

Computers Taking Over The World? MAG

Many say that computers are taking over the world. But you won't find most of these people in front of a computer. They are people who don't know the first thing about them. If they gave computers a chance, they would see what entertainment they can provide and how much easier some tasks are.

People who are computer illiterate are overwhelmed by all the new technology. They are also mesmerized by hearing how quickly computers are outdated, but most don't even know the meaning of the word. In my opinion, a computer is only outdated when you decide it is, because newer computers may be faster but they don't provide additional ability to run software.

People are also overly concerned about all the stories of hackers stealing information and viruses deleting vital information. First of all, this is mostly found in movies and secondly, people should know the risks they are taking by connecting their computers to the web where the whole world might access them.

In my opinion, people are expanding the use of computers too far. Some functions businesses do by computer are not necessarily easier on computers - they just look better and are the latest thing. This is what I look at as computer abuse, not computer use, and this is where the problems lie.

If everyone were computer literate and didn't jump to false conclusions, they would see the true value of computers. u

CDABC said...
CDABC, Old Tappan, New Jersey
Although this is a well-written article, you do bring up some debatable points. There are many people that are wary of the future consequences of technology (such as A.I. sentience, "grey goo", and transhumanism) who are well educated in computer science or a related field. While there are indeed uneducated individuals who do claim the dangers of hackers and viruses, most of the controversy regarding your topic are supported by detailed scientific reason, data, and theories. So although it is true that many computer illiterate people do "fear" the future of computers, there are quite a few computer literate people who do so as well.