Being Popular | Teen Ink

Being Popular MAG

I don't really remember what got me started. Maybe it was the thought, All my friends think it's cool. Plus, if I do it, I'll make more friends. Sure I made more friends, especially with the toilet.

I think it all started one night when my parents were gone for a few hours, and my 21-year-old friend asked me if he and a couple of friends could come over. I said okay, of course, partly because I already had a few friends over.

When they got to my house, they carried a big case of bottles. I said, "Whoa, wait a minute. I don't care if you drink here, but don't leave anything behind. And you better have a designated driver." They said they did, and then handed me a bottle.

About a half an hour later, one of my friends and I were sitting in my hallway, watching the room spin. That was my biggest mistake: my first time getting drunk. But pretty soon I was addicted, getting drunk every weekend. I loved the feeling, except when I fell into the bathtub and need help getting out!

Now, a couple of months later, I've decided to quit. Sure, I made more friends, but nothing is worth losing my health over it. I made this decision because of a bad incident. Three weeks ago, my best friend had to use first aid on me after I fell and hit my head so hard that I stopped breathing. I certainly learned my lesson - the hard way.

No longer will I tell my friends, "I'm gonna have a killer party Saturday night!" Hopefully my friends will understand. If they don't, they never really were my friends. c