Good Things Do Come To Those Who Wait | Teen Ink

Good Things Do Come To Those Who Wait MAG

By Anonymous

   Some people say that good things come to those who wait. I never really understood this - until the end of my senior year.

Ever since sophomore year, I had been submitting an essay nominating my favorite teacher for The 21st Century Educator Of the Year. It seemed that every year was a disappointment. I was beginning to think maybe I wasn't such a good writer.

I was home that day when I received the phone call. Actually, I had just finished browsing the World Wide Web. The person on the phone asked me if my name was Cindy, and introduced himself as the publisher of The 21st Century. He said I had been chosen as a winner for an essay contest. For a minute I didn't remember the essay I had written four months before - I thought that my attempts at getting my teacher recognized had been another failure.

When I realized what the phone call was about, I became very excited, and didn't know what to say or how to react. He told me the details: I was invited to attend an awards banquet at Northeastern University in Boston, and would meet former Governor Michael Dukakis. At first I thought that it sounded great, but then he told me the date - and my heart dropped. It would be the day after my father's memorial service. There was no way I could deliver a speech.

After the call, I immediately called my teacher. When he picked up the phone, I was nervous. How could I tell him? My teacher was very excited, and thanked me many times.

As you probably guessed, I ended up going to the awards banquet. My teacher drove me to Boston. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. On the way, I was depressed. My father had recently died.

When we arrived we were given name tags and talked to our hosts. The dinner was spectacular. We were served the meal and listened to fantastic live chamber music. My spirits lifted. For a few minutes I forgot about my father. I was having the greatest time of my life.

After dinner, it was speech time. You were asked to read your essay in front of everyone. I couldn't wait for my turn. I wasn't nervous at all. I spent three years in Speech And Debate.

As I walked up to the stage with my teacher, I looked up and saw a smile on his face. It made me feel so good that I could pay him back for all his help. When I delivered my speech that evening, I spoke with pride. My teacher was right beside me. I knew when I saw him smile that this would be one day that I would never forget - and neither would he. News of the award was even published in my local paper.

I am so glad that I decided to submit my essay that year. I encourage all of you teens to never give up. If you keep trying, you will succeed. Someday you will learn that good things do come to those who wait. c