It is finally summer | Teen Ink

It is finally summer

And we are walking in the warm nighttime, and I am enjoying it very much, which is a nice change. There are four of us: me, Austin and Elliot, who are twins but very different twins, and Mike, who I met mostly by accident in PE, but is also Austin and Elliot?s friend.

I am new in this group. Mike and the twins have known each other since Swope, but we are all very friendly. I like being around them because they are all very funny but they are even funnier when they are all together.

Anyway we are walking around a shopping center and it is so late that the minimart is the only place that is still open. Mike buys a can of tea, and I am eyeing a candy bar but do not have any money with me so Elliot buys it because he has a job already and has a lot of money.

We keep walking, towards a park or somewhere?or maybe towards nowhere in particular, I really can?t remember?and Mike is saying something about bulls*** and his old English teacher, and Austin and Elliot are commenting and laughing and the whole scene is like a circus. I am not listening very closely because at the moment we have a very nice view of the city, and it is all lit up and looks very nice.

?Howbout you, Dustin? How?d you get through another year of mandatory slavery?? What they mean is school. I am mostly a good student because I am very quiet and good at doing what I?m told, so I?m not sure what to say. I try to take another bite of my candy bar but it is already gone.

?I didn?t,? I say. ?That place makes me crazy.? We all smile and there is a moment of silence.

?Yeah,? someone whispers. Their breath is drawn across my face by a breeze.

We walk on in the night and go on acting like a bunch of kids out looking for trouble in the middle of the night in June, because we are. And I go on about what an awful place that school is.

And the more I say, the better it sounds.

MelodyJoy said...
on Mar. 14 2009 at 7:38 pm
I feel like I should post a comment but I don't really have anything to say so I'll just smile =)