My 7th Birthday | Teen Ink

My 7th Birthday

February 18, 2009
By Erin Wolbach BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Erin Wolbach BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On a hot day in June I was wondering what I was going to get for my birthday present. All morning I was going through a list of things that I had wanted or mentioned to my parents. In a way I was scared and happy at the same time. I waited anxiously until that afternoon. My parents wanted me to go into our living room and take a seat.



I headed towards the living room and sat down. This news was either going to be really good or really bad. As I was sitting there I could hear my own heart thump. It was beating really fast for excitement but ready for a heartbreaker. As soon as they said, ?Close your eyes,? I knew that it was good news. I closed my eyes and all I could see was black. I could hear was my own breathing.


They soon put the object in my hand and said, ?Happy Birthday.? I opened my eyes and saw milt seed. Milt seed is for parakeets or budgies. Now I have always wanted my own bird and I never expected that to happen now! I looked at the seed then looked at my parents. They said, ?Let?s go we?re going somewhere.? They never told me where we were going but I had an idea.


As soon as we arrived at the Petco parking lot, my heart dropped. I was right! I am going to get my very own bird! The next thing to pop in my head was what color bird was it going to be. This didn?t faze me at all because I wanted a yellow budgie.


When we entered Petco and walked to the bird part of the store. I saw the most beautiful budgie I have ever seen! I pointed her out o my parents and said, ?That?s the one!? My parents agreed with me. So we went over to the clerk and asked for his help. He got the bird out and paid for her. After that we went home.


When we came home we made her birdcage just like home. Soon after we had made her home another question popped in my head. This question was what I am going to name her. I had decided that I was going to name her Sunny, because of her bright sun-like color of her feathers.