Doing What You Love | Teen Ink

Doing What You Love

February 12, 2009
By Anonymous

Life is full of choices. Some choices are made for us, while others are left for us to make on our own. Sometimes the activities we choose are chosen because we love doing them. Other times, the actions we choose are simply because we think we should be doing them, whether we like it or not. Life is so much more fulfilling, though, when we love what we are doing.

When we spend our time doing something we don?t love, the results can be very negative. First of all, the activity can become something you dread. When you dread something, you don?t want to prepare for it and you don?t look forward to it. The activity itself can stress you out while doing it. As a result, you lack motivation and energy and you don?t do your best. Growing up, I tried many different activities in an attempt to find something I truly and thoroughly enjoyed. I went through everything from dance to basketball, and I even tried piano. These activities really didn?t make me happy in the end though, and so I kept looking for something that was just right for me. Looking back on the many activities I tried I realize that doing something you don?t enjoy can really become a chore or even a drudgery.

When we do something we love, however, we greatly benefit from it. Also, we are more likely to do it well, and excel at it. When you do something you love, you can become highly motivated and develop a passion for the activity. You start looking forward to it and you are definitely more likely to stick with it and stay committed. Besides, doing something you love makes you happy.

For me, almost any activity that involves music makes me happy, whether it?s practicing my flute, or even strumming my guitar strings. Playing music provides an escape for me and has a way of calming my nerves. It?s something I look forward to everyday. Since I enjoy it so much, I want to get even better at it, and as I improve, it gives me a satisfying sense of accomplishment. I love making music and it will stay with me for the rest of my life.


There are many benefits to doing what we love. These benefits are important to us to help us learn and grow. Doing what we love is not a waste of time and life is definitely too short to waste time.