My Country | Teen Ink

My Country MAG

There are three important things in my life: my religion, school, and my country. My country may be the last, but it is certainly not the least. It is one of the reasons I live. It is the most beautiful place on earth. I have traveled across the Atlantic, from the West Coast to the East Coast, but I have never found a princess similar to her, my country, Bosnia.

I did not lived there long enough to remember all the details of her beauty, but what I remember makes my eyes water very quickly. I left Bosnia when I was very young because of the terribly bloody earthquake that struck in 1992. When I was leaving, I was very happy to be escaping from hell. I didn't realize that I was abandoning my own mother who nourished me for ten years. However, I was only a newborn.

I like America and I am very glad I came here, but your country is your country. No copy can replace an original. She survived when she was bleeding the most, when her spine was like my great-grandmother's, but now it is straightening - as if she is becoming younger. I am very happy that she is recovering because I know that it is sour to taste winter in the middle of July. c