Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Friend Sitting quietly on the cold steps, I am recalling, reminiscing, regretting.Remembering those summer days I spent with her. Her presence created a sense of serenity that filled the room every time she walked in. Her smile,as bright as the morning sun.When I was down,she cheered me up. She was the most beautiful person I had ever known. But she was only a friend.Good times. Bad times. We survived it all. We did everything together,like two peas in a pod. She was the angel that guided me,the candle that lit the way. A Samaritan who helped me out, and a saint for putting up with me.Then all of a sudden, an obstacle -a fork in the road. This can't be happening.How could something so right,so perfect, so wonderful,take a turn for the worse? Now there is a wedge between us.An avalanche of misery is falling. I am unable to hang on with my outstretched arms.I try to shout the words,"I love you,"but my throat closes. No words.She is drifting away. What's happening? "You can't go! I ... I ..."I try to fight the closing doors of my throat."Wait! I ... I ..."The doors are shut. She is gone.I don't breathe.She's coming back. I just know it. So I sit and wait ...And as life goes on and times change along with the color of the leaves, I ask myself: Is she coming back? No, she's not. Of course she is. She has to!Why?Because she was my friend.My best friend.