It's National Pi Day Ya'll! | Teen Ink

It's National Pi Day Ya'll!

February 26, 2009
By Shelzzzers SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Shelzzzers SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Wednesday started out pretty typically for me. My math tutor was explaining to me the joys of statistics and I was trying not to fall asleep when he announced that Saturday March 14th was National Pie Day.

A day of pie? Why had no one told me of this before?! My mind started whirling with all the recipes I was going to create. I was in the middle of planning my menu (let's see... pie for breakfast, pizza pie for lunch, and pie for dinner) when my bubble was suddenly burst with the revelation that it was pi day. You know, that math thing we use sometimes? 3.14 blah blah blah add nauseam? Yeah. That's about what I thought too. Oh, Saturday is 03-14....I get it now.

You have got to be kidding me! Why waste a holiday celebrating a math symbol? And I still had to continue with school ' some holiday. I felt kinda ripped off. So what exactly am I supposed to do on the great day of pi? Well, I could go to San Francisco's Exploratorium, walk around a 'pi shrine' (whatever that is), sing pi related songs, bead a pi string, and eat pie. I guess one out of five isn't bad.

If you don't want to make the investment of flying across the country, then you can celebrate right here. Form a pi club at your school, convince your parents to build a pi monument in your front yard, memorize pi to the 200th digit. The possibilities are endless.

Now don't get me wrong, I like math. But did nobody think of National Stiletto Day, celebrating the wonders of high heels? Now that's something I could get into.

On the plus side, I did learn that pi to the billionth digit is 9, my math tutor is actually bringing pie to class, my mom said we could have pizza for dinner and I am now inspired to go outside and calculate the area of a tree or something. Wow, maybe this is not such a bad holiday after all. Happy pi day everyone!