Goldfish | Teen Ink

Goldfish

February 26, 2009
By Kayla Wooldridge BRONZE, Pleasant Plains, Illinois
Kayla Wooldridge BRONZE, Pleasant Plains, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

One day my mom and I went to the fair. I wanted to play the game where there is a bunch of balloons lined up on the wall, and you throw darts to try to pop them. For the prizes they are handing out goldfish.
So I walked up to the man that was running the game. He had a beard. I actually thought he looked kind of funny. The man with the beard said, "It's one dollar for three darts, and it's five dollars for ten dars." I just went with one dollar for three darts. I threw the first dart, it was going fast, then all of a sudden you hear a "POP." One down, two to go. I threw the second dart, it was also going fast, but a little slower than the first one. Then just like the first one you hear a "POP." Ok, two down, one to go. I say to myself, "OK, no pressure." I threw the third dart, it was going kind of fast too, it was also twisting and turning. Just like the first and second one you hear a "POP." After I see the balloon pop, I am jumping for joy, waiting to get my goldfish. The man with the bears game me my goldfish. I was so excited!
When we were riding back home in the car I was trying to name my goldfish. I tried ten names but they didn't seem to fit. Then the perfect name popped into my head, Rufus.
When we got home I got out a glass bowl and I put some water and Rufus into it. The next morning I got up to feed Rufus. When I got to his bowl he was upside down and floating.
I was so sad that he was dead. My mom told me that I had to flush Rufus down the toilet. So I walked into the bathroom and dumped him in the toilet. I flushed it and he went "Blurb, Swish, Blurb" down the toilet. I was so sad so I didn't get another goldfish.