My Battle With Anorexia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My Battle with Anorexiaby Samantha Wyman, Farmington, MEWhen I was five years old, my parents got a divorce. I was so torn up inside that I developed a habit - I ate all the time. I realize now that it was to drown my feelings of abandonment. As I got older, I became very overweight. I never cared until people started to tease me. My peers used to call me "Shamu" and "Fatso" but what really got to me was the earthquake joke. When I walked down the hallway, people used to make booming noises. I felt so humiliated. I began to realize just how overweight I was. Every day is a reminder for me of how cruel people can be. I used to get scared walking to the bus stop, knowing that rocks or snowballs would be aimed my way, and that I would hear fat jokes and name-calling. Every evening I would go home crying, saying to myself, I will show them someday - and I did. All of that pent up frustration and anger blew up in my face and completely destroyed me.When I was a junior in high school, I was determined to the lose the weight I had carried for most of my life, so I began not eating. I can't remember how I got into this pattern because all I could think about was becoming somebody else's idea of perfection. But I saw drastic results. I kept losing and losing. Eventually all my pants were too big. All I knew was that I was proud but, deep down, I was slowly killing myself. I became obsessed with losing weight and no matter how small I was, it was never good enough. I was, and still am, fat in my eyes. Psychologically, I was destroyed; all I could do was think about how fat I was, and every time somebody looked at me, I felt that they were staring at how obese I was.I turned into a walking skeleton, developed a disease called jaundice, and had a serious heart condition because of all the speed I was taking. Eventually, my body decided it had been through enough and I collapsed onto the living room floor. I had won the battle of the bulge, but my new battle with anorexia would last a lifetime. My mother found me, not even able to get up, weak and dying from malnutrition and drug abuse. She rushed me to the hospital where I was diagnosed as anorexic and bulimic. I was immediately transferred into a rehabilitation clinic out of state. My stay was brief (only three weeks). They treated me for my drug problem rather than my eating disorder. I felt cheated of help and felt no one cared, so I acted like I was doing better. I am still struggling for control, but anorexia will be with me forever. c

Shagun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great article ! I have a friend who is suffering from anorexia, can pleas suggest how should i talk to her ? i really want to help her..... I killing me to see her fading right before my eyes.... also, would you mind reading a piece i wrote, its called The Epiphany, it helped a few people..... Keep Writing :)

Gymnastgirl26 said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:16 am
This story rings true. When I became anorexic, I was more out of shape than most gymnasts. It's usually the people who gain weight then become self conscious who contract eating disorders.

remembermeplz said...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

you r beautiful no matter what!And if u suround yrself with poeple who love and respect u, u will fell better.

But to trully "get better" u have to want to.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Never give up!  If you don't want this to be your life forever, then you can make it so it isn't.  I too had struggled with body image for my entire life, and developed anorexia.  But after a 2 year battle, I recently celebrated by 1 year anniversary of being discharged from the hospital.  Recovery is REAL, even though I felt the same way you did for a long time.  But I hate to see you say that you're stuck with this forever, becasue I would never wish the pain of an ... (more »)

gaby23 said...
It won't be forever. I've thought I'll never be normal again, and today I'm still fighting, so please don't give up. Your pain is real, and it will make you stronger. Great writing!