A Well Kept Secret | Teen Ink

A Well Kept Secret MAG

Too many kids are going home to drunk parents and messed-up families. I don't think society realizes. Most kids can cover it up pretty well in school and around their friends. But when they go home, it's a completely different story. When they walk in their houses and see their dad or mom drunk again, it hurts. When a kid starts smoking or doing drugs, more than likely it's because they see their parents messed up and want to get away. They find a way to distract themselves and help them not think about all the bad things in their life. A lot of times, the kids try to figure out what they did wrong to make their parents drink and ignore them. Nothing, of course, but too many things run through teenagers' minds, like, "If only I would have done this or if I hadn't done that, maybe it would be different." But it's not their fault and it's hard for them to realize that. It seems like the only time their parents have time for them is when they are drunk and don't remember it the next day. Other than that, they don't seem to care.

For most of you reading this, I don't think you understand - unless you've lived it. Some teenagers think it's cool and wish their parents didn't care so much. But for the ones who have to live like that, it's not great. They're the ones who wish they had parents who supported them and did things with them. It's a bad thing when you dread going home every day, knowing what to expect and trying to figure out a way to avoid home. It shouldn't have to be like that, but for too many kids it is - and nobody knows. c