A True Friend | Teen Ink

A True Friend MAG

By Anonymous

"A true friend walks in when the rest of the world walks out - Anonymous "   


I have a veryspecial friend who is also my A.A. (Alcoholics Anony-mous)sponsor. I've known Kate (not her real name) for only a shorttime, but I feel as if I've known her for a lifetime.

When I first went to the meetings, I was very angryand wanted to be left alone. While I was sitting on the stepsof the church waiting for my ride, Kate sat down next to meand started talking. I sat there uncomfortably and halflistened. She started talking about how people at A.A. canshare their experiences, strength and hope, which in turnhelps you stay sober.

Kate gave me her phone number.When I got home, I sat in my room and made a mistake regardingmy sobriety. Feeling guilty, I picked up the phone and dialedher, shaking from head to toe. She picked up the phone with acheerful, "Hello."

Kate asked, "Do youwant to stop using?" I answered with a hesitant,"Yes." She explained that if I chose, I could takeher suggestions to stay sober and she would guide me throughthe 12 steps of A.A. Agreeing that I needed help, she becamemy sponsor.

As my sponsor, she walked not in front ofme because I'm not a follower; not behind me, because I'm nota leader, but she walked beside me, holding my hand throughthe journey. Kate always made me feel comfortable and loved.She made me realize I have choices and options I never thoughtI had. She invited me to dinners and meetings where she sharedher story. She listened to me and watched as I cried and gaveme tough love when I neededit.

     When I shared my storywith her, I expected her to leave me like everyone else had,but she loved me even more, which blew my mind. She gave meencouragement to stay sober and tortured me with compliments.She made me feel like I was a part of something special,something I have never experienced before.

Kateintroduced me to people as her friend, not as her sponsoree.Being a friend to someone so in love with sobriety and lifewas new to me. I never knew there were people out there likethat, who cared about you as a person and not just a dealer ordrug acquaintance.

Slowly, one day at a time, I got toknow Kate more and more and started realizing that life can begood - even better when you're not using.