I Can Always Go Home | Teen Ink

I Can Always Go Home MAG

By Anonymous

   Over the years I havelearned many thing, but the most important was how to standtall and be an individual. My parents have seen me through alot, and without them I wouldn't be where I am today. Not onlydo I do well in school, but I am well respected. I havelearned some rough lessons in my life; if it weren't for goodold Mom and Dad I probably would have gotten into a whole lotmore trouble. I gave them a run for their money, that's forsure.

I never really enjoyed school, but they alwaysencouraged me to do my best. I can remember my father tellingme he didn't care about my grades as long as I tried myhardest. So now here I am, a straight A student except fromtime to time, but hey, no one's perfect.

When I was inthird grade I was picked to play an instrument. I wasn't sosure, but Mom said she believed I would do well. So I triedand I liked it a lot. But my instructor, now she was adifferent story. I didn't like her, but Dad said I wouldn'tlike everyone and if I quit just because of her, I'd regretit. So I stuck with it and wouldn't you know, my nextinstructor was better! It's amazing how parents areright.

And then there was that time a guy broke myheart. Dad had warned me, but did I listen? Of course not.When I felt so alone he said, "It's okay to cry. Yourdaddy will always love you, no matter who comes and goes. Iwill always be here for you." As much as I hate to admitit, he's right. My father really has been the one man I havebeen able to count on, and my mother is the one woman who'snever deserted me. When best friends came and went, she wasalways there, and not just to give a helping hand.

NowI'm almost 18, and soon I'll be graduating and going off tocollege. As we look at schools my mom says, "I can'tbelieve my baby girl is going to college." I just roll myeyes and say, "Oh, please, Mom," but now I look backand see that in a way she is losing her baby girl. I'm allgrown up now, and it's time to move on, but no matter where Igo, I know I'll always be able to go home!