Ski Patrol | Teen Ink

Ski Patrol MAG

February 24, 2009
By Jack Lund BRONZE, Salt Lake City, Utah
Jack Lund BRONZE, Salt Lake City, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My work as a volunteer ski patroller has changed my perspective on a lot of things. The past four years I have spent every Sunday in winter working with a great group of guys to ensure that people are safe and have the help they need while skiing. I have completed over 500 hours of service on the slopes, with another 200 planned for this winter. Some of the most enriching and educational experiences of my life came while volunteering.

As a Outdoor Emergency Care technician, part of my job is to help injured skiers. Injuries range from twisted knees to life-threatening broken necks. This part of the job can be stressful, and I have as much responsibility as the professional patrollers with whom I work.

Being part of the ski patrol has helped me mature and forced me to overcome stress to do what needs to be done. Keeping my composure at the scene of an accident can be difficult since they are often very hectic. I have stuck with it because safe skiing is a cause I believe in. Wearing the white cross is a big responsibility, but I enjoy volunteering for the skiing public and am willing to put in the work.