Meaghan's Homecoming | Teen Ink

Meaghan's Homecoming MAG

The night Meaghan came into my life was hot. Thecar seat stuck to the backs of my legs on the way to the airport. Everyminute I saw pass on my watch made my heart catch in my throat. Everyminute brought us closer.

My family had dreamed of thismoment as my aunt and uncle went through all the adoption paperwork andprayed for long months and years. Then came word that a child waswaiting for them. They packed their bags, caught a plane and flew acrossthe ocean to retrieve the answer to their prayers. Cathy and Dan went toChina a couple and came home a family.

When the car was parked, Iwas the first out. I waited as patiently as I could as my dad helped mygrandmother out. As we walked through the metal detectors into theairport my step quickened. We met other family and friends as we madeour way to the terminal.

The room was cold and I couldn'ttell whether my goose bumps were from the temperature or excitement. Iremember looking at my aunts and uncles, cousins and friends, allanxiously awaiting the newest member of the clan.

When we knewthe plane had arrived we swarmed around the terminal exit. Balloons,flowers and stuffed animals were clutched tightly in our hands. I stoodon my toes to hold the "Welcome Home" sign above everyone'sheads.

Our breath caught in our throats as we watched smallfigures at the end of the tunnel turn into Cathy and Dan with happy,weary tears and small, wide-eyed, one-year-old Meaghan. She wasclutching Cathy's neck, staring curiously at everyone with their tearsof joy and huge smiles.

Cameras flashed and the crowd surgedtoward them. Someone greedily took Meaghan from Cathy's arms and passedher from family member to family member, friend to friend. I stayedback, watching the helpless baby, and wondered if she knew the immensejoy she was bringing to everyone in the room. I watched the love onCathy and Dan's faces for this child they didn't physically create, butwith prayers and incredible faith were now holding. I watched thismiracle of a family that many doubted would ever be, but that I hadalways had complete faith in, and I cried.

Anything ispossible.

i love this so much!